Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Thunderscape

Back in 1995, A game called Thunderscape was released for PC, and I loved it. It was a really edgy take on fantasy, with steam power and new takes on all the classic fantasy tropes. It was far from perfect, but as a lifelong fan of computer rpg's, to me it was a big step forward for the genre.
 In 2013, Kyoudai Games bought the rights to produce a new pen & paper rpg based on the license. It's a true joy, as I've mentioned many times, to work on a game from my childhood. It's an even greater pleasure to contribute to the new life of a game I loved, that has long since sat in the back of a dusty closet for 18 years. Thunderscape would be graduating from high school if it had stayed around this whole time.
And so, when the guys at Kyoudai contacted me about doing art for the game after they ran a wildly successful kickstarter, I jumped at the chance. And I'm glad I did, because they didn't just want me to do art, they wanted me to create the iconic character archetypes for the book. The main characters by which every player who picks up the book will use as a compass to shape their own contributions to the world of Aden.



For the next few weeks, I will be showing the iconic Thunderscape character art here.
Here is the first, the Mechamage.