Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Metamorphosis Alpha

A couple years ago, an old friend asked me to go to lunch while we were at Gencon. His name is Jamie Chambers, and we had worked together many times over the years while he was at Sovereign Press on the Dragonlance roleplaying books for 3rd edition D&D.

He wanted to tell me about a game he was publishing soon, a game which had been around for a very long time. One of the "old guard" of roleplaying games, first published in 1976. Now, that isn't all that old for some people, but for me, that was three years before I existed. So it sure seems old to me.
You can read up on it here:  http://metamorphosisalpha.com/

It's a really crazy setting, with a very classic sci-fi kind of premise, and he wanted me to do the cover. It had to show the inside of a spaceship, but a ship that was overtaken with undergrowth. And mutants. And holographic landscapes. And old, damaged pieces of technology showing through around the edges.



This was one of the more unusual covers I've done, and for a while I had no idea how I was going to illustrate such a wild concept, but when Jamie sent me the cover design, it kind of left me with the perfect opporunity to do somthing a little different.